Nothing is more frightening than watching your newborn suffer seizures. Early seizures — within the first few days of life — can be a sign that something is very wrong. At The Law Office of Robert H. Kleinschmidt, P.C., in Scottsdale, our attorney works hard to help hold negligent medical professionals accountable and to help you recover the full and fair compensation to which you are entitled.
Scenarios That Can Lead To Seizures In Infants
Seizures happen when sudden, abnormal electrical activity occurs in the brain. This activity can be located in one part of the brain (focal or partial seizures) or may occur on both sides (generalized seizures). In infants, seizures sometimes indicate a congenital defect, brain malformation or infection. However, they can also be the result of medical negligence. Seizures are a hallmark symptom of loss of oxygen (hypoxia/asphyxia) during delivery. Over the long term, infants who suffer these types of seizures may end up with neurological disorders such as cerebral palsy or mental retardation.
If your baby has seizures and you suspect that any of the following scenarios may have contributed to your baby’s condition, you should talk to an attorney immediately:
- Poor management of your labor and delivery
- Misapplication or inappropriate use of forceps or vacuum extraction during delivery
- Misreading of the fetal heart rate monitor or failure to respond to heart rate changes
- Failure to diagnose or respond to fetal distress
- Failure to detect or respond to obstruction in a baby’s airway
- Delayed delivery or failure to timely order a cesarean section
- Failure to diagnose and treat preterm labor
- Mismanagement of prolonged pregnancy
- Failure to diagnose or treat for pre-eclampsia (maternal elevated blood pressure)
- Failure to properly resuscitate a newborn
- Failure to plan for the safe delivery of an infant with macrosomia (large girth)
Your Allies In The Face Of Frightening Uncertainties
Infant seizures are terrifying. If you suspect that your child’s seizures may have been the result of a medical error, you deserve an explanation.
At The Law Office of Robert H. Kleinschmidt, P.C., in Arizona, we will help ensure that your voice is heard. Our legal team can review medical records and enlist the aid of medical experts to assess whether malpractice contributed to your baby’s condition. If it did, we will stand by you as strong advocates.
Our attorney, Robert H. Kleinschmidt, has spent decades representing parents of children with negligence-related seizure disorders. An assertive trial lawyer, Mr. Kleinschmidt has devoted his career to the field of malpractice law — particularly birth injuries.
Contact Us To Learn More About Your Birth Injury Claim
Call 480-951-3949 or reach out to us online to discuss next steps during a free initial consultation. We provide representation to people throughout the greater Phoenix area.